Prevention, of course, is much better than treatment. San Diego State University's Social Science Research Lab has assembled a list of tips to reduce the chance of getting carpal tunnel syndrome or other repetitive stress injuries. They are:
- DON'T rest your hands on the edge of the desk or wristpad as you type.
- DON'T type while leaning elbows on a desk or arms of your chair.
- DON'T slouch/slump. It compresses your spine, throws head forward leading to neck/shoulder problems.
- DON'T hit keys any harder or longer than necessary.
- DON'T grip mouse tightly.