- Computer Related Repetitive Strain Injury(R.S.I). RSI occurs from the excess and nonstop use of hands which causes damage to nerves, muscles, and tendons. Improper typing techniques and body position which places unnecessary stress on the hand and wrist can accelerate the damage. Lack of adequate rest is another factor affecting the tendons and nerves.
- Osteoarthritis(O.A). Of all the forms of arthritis, O.A is the most common and it would be misleading to say that its a disease of old age because it can occur in children too. In short OA is just wear and tear of the joint surfaces. Many insidious factors like long working hours without breaks, poor posture, repititious work and prolonged postures can all accelerate this wear and tear of the joints. Poor nutrition, insufficient amount of sleep or poor sleeping pattern can all cause joint damage because of the fact that joint repair occurs while we sleep.
- Dry Eye Syndrome. Over ten million Americans suffer from dry eyes. It's one of the most common problem. It is usually caused by a problem with the quality of the tear film that lubricates the eyes. It can be caused due to aging process.Other common factors are hot and dry climate, air-conditioning and cigarette smoke. If you find your eyes irritated when reading or working on a computer and need to stop periodically to rest and blink then you are at risk.
- Back Pain and numbness of legs. Deep, aching, dull or burning pain in one area of the back or traveling down the legs. Person may experience numbness, tingling, burning, or a pins-and-needles type sensation in the legs. Even the regular daily activities may prove difficult or impossible and he may find it difficult or unbearable to work, for example, even when the job does not require manual labor. Such pain tends to last much longer. Poor body mechanics, prolonged activity and fatigue are major contributors to these injuries.
- Neck, Shoulder,Elbow pain. Though not a permanent or serious problem but very uncomfortable. Bad posture and working on bed are then main culprits here.
Almost all of these problems either results from poor posture or lack of rest. Taking 10-15 minutes break every hours can not only prevent these problem but can also slow down the already injured ones.